*-devel ports for llvm and gcc (was: Re: automatic choice of a default +llvmXY variant via selected compiler?)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Apr 29 07:19:50 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-29 04:37, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> When multiple version variants are available, we usually suggest you
> default to the latest stable version. Right now that's llvm-3.7.

I was surprised it is not the llvm-3.8 port, as that version is stable
upstream...

In my opinion, llvm-3.8 and llvm-3.9 should really have a -devel prefix
as long as they provide pre-releases. The same also applies to gcc6.
With the *-devel naming scheme it would be easy to identify the latest
stable version.

Rainer