[150874] trunk/dports/lang/python32

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Aug 1 13:32:11 PDT 2016

On 1 August 2016 at 20:49, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2016, at 2:39 PM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:
>> Not to pick on you, Mihai, but have we ever considered getting rid of (or at least revising) the guideline that implies that these new, sprawling, indecipherable patch names are somehow more "correct" than the old ones? I have never understood the point of including the name(s) of the modified file(s) in the name of the patch itself, when this information is *already inside the patch*.
>
> The guide says:
>
> "Generally speaking, you should create one patch file for each logical change that needs to be applied. Patchfile filenames should uniquely distinguish the file and generally be of the form patch-<identifier>.diff, where the identifier is a hint of what the patch does. For example, this can be the filename of the patched file as in patch-src-Makefile.in.diff."
>
> So the filename is an example (and I would agree, a poor one) of what <identifier> could/should be.
>
>> And these aren't even the worst: Many patches are just named after the files they modify, with no information about their purpose. I don't think I should have to resort to version control to get the first inkling of a patch's purpose.

Generally I'm more happy to see at least some consistency than
*totally random* names.

Very often I simply have no clue how to name a patch, so I'm sometimes
happy to just use the filename without giving any thought (often the
file name tells a tiny bit about the type of patch). Then again, very
often using the filenames is super weird and it helps to group the
patches in a different way (split patches of the same file in multiple
files; combine patches of multiple files into a single .diff file) and
way less useful than some better description, but I admit that I feel
at least a bit guilty when I pick a name different from filename due
to a guideline that I once read somewhere.

In the above example I would also prefer the old patch names.

Mojca