How to discontinue ports completely (py26 deprecation) ...

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Wed Aug 10 17:50:18 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 04:47:25PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2016, at 13:18, Peter Danecek <peter.danecek at ingv.it> wrote:
> >
> > However, how would we procede in this case, when we have no explicit
> > replacement to indicate?
>
> I believe the obsolete 1.0 portgroup can accommodate this: include the
> portgroup but don't set replaced_by.
>
> However, do first consider whether this needs to be done, or whether
> the port can instead be left as is.

What's the benefit of replacing a port we might no longer want to keep
with an explicit error message on upgrade? Instead, we could just
outright delete the port, which will leave it installed on the systems
of those users that had it installed (i.e. not break their system), but
also no longer allow fresh installations of it.

--
Clemens