How to discontinue ports completely (py26 deprecation) ...

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Aug 10 19:31:33 PDT 2016

On 2016-8-11 08:01 , Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2016, at 5:21 PM, Fred Wright <fw at fwright.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't consider Python 2.6 to be "cruft".  Developers need many
>> versions of Python installed for testing, and that includes any
>> packages that are also needed.  It's annoying to have to create local
>> versions of portfiles solely to add versions that are missing for no
>> substantive reason.
>
> The substantive reason is that every additional version of CPython we
> support is a maintenance burden, especially one that saw its last
> feature release 6 years ago and its last bugfix release nearly 3 years
> ago.

For the pythonXY ports themselves (and surely we should be starting with
python24 if we're removing things?), I don't think it's much of a burden
to slap a big warning on them about vulnerabilities and then never touch
them again. For py26 module subports, it is of course up to the
maintainer. I'm pretty sure most of the nomaintainer module ports have
had 26 removed already.

That said, you're probably better off using pip in virtualenv for your
multi python version testing.

- Josh