how about a 'snowleopardfixes' library port?

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Aug 22 23:29:32 PDT 2016

> On Aug 23, 2016, at 12:50 AM, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Snow Leopard has two missing but fairly commonly used functions, getline and strnlen.  These two functions are responsible for a number of snow leopard build failures.
>
> It seemed that reinventing the wheel over and over for a getline replacement was getting rather tedious, port after port. I built a static library with a getline replacement in it, called it 'libsnowleopardfixes.a', put it in /opt/local/lib, and added it to the linked libraries on lnav.

As a rule, we don't like static libraries because they make it difficult to ensure repeatable builds. Binaries that incorporate static libraries must be rebuilt to pick up changes, and it's hard to tell what version of a library went into a particular binary. Every port that uses a static library has to be revbumped every time that library is updated.

> This seems to be a contender for a fairly easy way to solve a lot of troubles with these missing snowleopard functions...

Maybe, if you can make a dylib out of it.

vq