LibCxx on older systems toolchain blew up on 10.6 -- and fixed -- WAS Re: Can't upgrade gtk3 as part of a "upgrade outdated", Segmentation fault?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 05:58:27 PDT 2016

Thanks for the info. I realize it's a small audience, and I'm happy to help, and in fact, don't mind plugging away at it when I have some time. No wonder the OP had trouble though. The toolchain blew up with the last updates to cctools and ld64, and the current instructions and state of things don't appear (to me) to be able to work.

But I believe have it fixed now, I think, with one small change in the instructions,  and one small change in the ld64 portfile.

I was unable to resuscitate the toolchain after it pulled in ld64 +llvm34, and ultimately I had to uninstall the toolchain completely and start over.

The current LibCxxOnOlderSystems instructions are mixed between +llvm37 and +llvm38. You can't use +llvm37 or clang-3.7 options because they no longer exist in cctools or ld64, so +llvm34 will get pulled back in instead.

The install goes OK if you ignore all the references to +llvm37 or clang-3.7, and just insert +llvm38 or clang-3.8 instead.

HOWEVER you can't build ld64 against +llvm38 due to errors in math.h (as Jeremy pointed out).

sudo port -v upgrade --enforce-variants ld64 -ld64_97 -ld64_127 -ld64_136 -ld64_236

As per:

<http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/problems-building-libcxx-td2353619.html>

These math errors appear to be fixed on 10.6 by adding this line in the ld64 portfile --

    configure.cppflags-append -I${workpath}/dyld-${dyld_version}/include
+    configure.cppflags-append -U__STRICT_ANSI__

And then it all installs and appears to be a coherent toolchain that works again (with clang-3.8, llvm-3.8).

Best,

Ken