PR final steps (to squash or not to squash)

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Dec 6 01:34:15 CET 2016

On 2016-12-6 12:13 , Eric A. Borisch wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org
> <mailto:jmr at macports.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 2016-12-6 11:49 , Eric A. Borisch wrote:
>
>         I'm going to throw in my 2c again asking for the 'squash and commit'
>         button to be activated. I'm much more likely to wander through and
>         commit some cut-and-dried PRs if it is something I can do
>         drive-by, or
>         even from my phone.
>
>         And by cut-and-dried, I mean PRs from a prior contributor updating
>         checksum and version numbers on a port, for example.
>

>     If it's that cut-and-dried, what's wrong with rebase and merge?
>
>     - Josh
>

> If there have been comments and an updated PR (multiple commits),should
> I rebase-and-merge from the web?. I thought the answer was no
> (non-linear commit history?) This was the particular case when I first
> brought it up. Just trying to reduce the "friction" to contributing to MP.

Well, I wouldn't call that a cut-and-dried case, but: In the case of a
PR branch with multiple commits, some of which are fixing problems with
earlier commits rather than just being logically separate changes,
squashing is preferable. But the nonlinear history problem is the result
of *not* rebasing.

 From what I understand, what we'd really like for that case is a
"squash, rebase and merge" option. Unless we've misunderstood what
"squash and merge" does and it doesn't actually create a merge commit?

- Josh