PR final steps (to squash or not to squash)

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Dec 6 03:52:51 CET 2016

> On Dec 5, 2016, at 10:38 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday December 05 2016 14:58:08 Rainer Müller wrote:
>>
>> What would be easier than just checking out the updated Portfile? You
>> can also just download the patch and apply it. Open for suggestions.
>
> In this case that would probably rather be downloading the patch since
> checking out the portfile means fetching the whole fork with its full
> history.

Fetching from a fork does not download the full history. Only the
objects that are not in your repository are fetched.

>> Well, it gets easier if the pull request author takes care of this.
>
> It certainly does, though not always by much, and only as long as the
> author has the exact same approach in splitting things up.

I daresay I'm the fussiest committer here. Most of us would probably not
nitpick a submitters' well-edited set of commits.

> And it's probably not trivial if possible at all to rewrite the
> history to correspond to a series of well-defined steps if those steps
> were never made as such at all, correct?

It's generally not trivial, no. Editing and revising prose to be clear
and concise isn't trivial, either.

> Side-ways related: maybe the Git/PR wiki topic could say a word or two
> about when a rebase request might be made before a PR can be merged.

Huh?

vq