PR final steps (to squash or not to squash)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Dec 6 10:46:19 CET 2016

On 2016-12-06 02:34, Joshua Root wrote:
> From what I understand, what we'd really like for that case is a
> "squash, rebase and merge" option. Unless we've misunderstood what
> "squash and merge" does and it doesn't actually create a merge commit?

No, "squash and merge" will not create a merge commit. GitHub will
squash the commits internally into a single commit and will let you edit
the commit message in a textbox.

The problem we discussed before was that this would become the default
option. We did not want to give a wrong default or too many choices for
those not familiar with Git and GitHub. We might want to re-evaluate
this, now that we have some experience with pull requests.

However, using the "squash and merge" button somehow implies to me that
the changes are not being tested before going out to all users.

Rainer