PR final steps (to squash or not to squash)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Dec 6 15:33:35 CET 2016

On 2016-12-06 14:36, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> When someone submits a pull request (let's assume that it's already
> perfect) and a committer fetches it, rebases it and commits it to the
> master, then the PR is not automatically linked to the commit (if
> rebasing happens in the meantime). Alternatives are:
>
> (a) press the rebase button on the website
> (b) force push to the branch of PR
> (c) ask the author to rebase
> (d) accept the fact that the two are not linked

(e) add "Closes: #XYZ" to the commit message

As soon as this commit is pushed to master, the pull request will be
closed automatically with a link to the commit.

> Problems:
>
> (a) Committer's email is "random" rather than username at macports.org
> (b) The one submitting the PR has to allow this (not everyone is happy with it)
> (c) Timing. It's basically impossible to assure that even after the
> author rebases, some committer will pick it up and commit it fast
> enough (= before another commit flies in).
> (d) The obvious. PR will be marked as Closed (rejected?) rather than Merged.

(e) avoids (a), does not require actions by the submitter as in (b)/(c).
The PR will still have a red "rejected" sign as in (d), but with a link
to the commit right next to it.

This is therefore my preferred solution. For example:
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/61

Rainer