`port edit`, local/console vs. remote use

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:35:38 CET 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 7:30 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday December 6 2016 18:13:18 Brandon Allbery wrote:
> >Unless things are configured to log to wtmp by IP address, these stopped
> >working when hostnames got too long. OS doesn't matter. (wtmp has to set a
>
> Possible that it's that, but this has never been a very standardised
> thing; my code is full of #ifdefs (then again, my fault I ran it on HPUX,
> A/UX, IRIX etc :))

Different OSes have altered utmp/wtmp in various ways, some of them trying
to grow it and then giving up, others never bothering and using a short
width that only works for hostnames on the local network (or did 20 years
ago...). Regardless, I regularly get hostnames that won't fit in *any*
utmp/wtmp record.

> >length limit, and good luck reconstructing from a prefix. It's been tried
> >many times and is pretty much impossible.)
>
> It would seem SSH_CONNECTION contains the remote IP, so there's that...

For ssh, sure. And ideally that's the only thing that would matter --- but,
sometimes reality (or lame network vendors, etc.) has other ideas.