`port edit`, local/console vs. remote use

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:58:12 CET 2016

On Wednesday December 7 2016 15:23:50 Brandon Allbery wrote:

>> VISUAL_EDITOR could be used instead of MP_GUI_EDITOR
>

>That name could be confusing considering that historically $VISUAL was a
>full screen CUI editor alternative to $EDITOR (that is, VISUAL=vi EDITOR=ed

Yes, sorry, I had misread VISUAL_EDITOR instead of VISUAL and EDITOR.

Regardless (and not to troll the list), I'm not sure if it's still very relevant to consider this ancient interpretation of "visual". How many people still use ed other than as a built-in vi component? Even people who do (or who maybe once did) should be aware that visual implies a bit more than what even vim has to offer, nowadays :)

R.