interrupting rev-upgrade with v2.3.5 or a post-v2.3.5 master

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Dec 13 13:26:18 CET 2016

On 2016-12-14 00:11 , René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand that the latest update introduced better handling of interrupts. Is it now safe to interrupt the rev-upgrade process done after a `port upgrade` (knowing that I configured it to check only)?

2.3.5 does not have signal handling. On master it's probably safe-ish to
use ctrl-c depending on what it's doing at the time. Activations in
progress will be rolled back for example, but there are no hard
guarantees about consistency system-wide.

It was probably always fairly safe to interrupt rev-upgrade in report
mode. Any database writes it does to update the binary flag are in a
sqlite transaction.

> I often miss an option to skip that step (esp. the first of the day which always takes longer) but I suppose that being able to interrupt it safely will work just as fine.

The install and upgrade actions take a --no-rev-upgrade option.
Macports.conf has a revupgrade_autorun option. But if you mean "miss" as
in "forget to use" then I guess no amount of options will help :).

- Josh