Branching for 2.4

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Dec 15 18:08:56 CET 2016

On 2016-12-15 16:39, Joshua Root wrote:
> If nobody can think of anything else, I'll go ahead and create the
> branch and tag beta1 this weekend.

Some more thoughts on the current state of master:

# port diagnose

'port diagnose' seems completely broken. The ports tree resources do not
contain definitions for valid Xcode versions on macOS 10.11 or 10.12.
Therefore the command errors out very early and is not useful. Overall,
it looks like this was not tested at all recently.

Do we still want to fix this and polish it for 2.4, or should we just
skip this new feature for 2.4 and move it to 2.5?

# usealtworkpath / altprefix

A few years ago I already proposed to rip out usealtworkpath and
altprefix completely [1], but Joshua wanted to keep it for destroot
testing. This feature is what enables building in user's ~/.macports
without sudo.

In my opinion there is no use for this feature anymore and it just adds
unnecessary complexity. Now that trace mode is even working with SIP
again, the 2.4 release would be a another opportunity to get rid of this.

# Update Tcl and other libraries

We should update Tcl and the other libraries to the latest available
version before branching. I held this back until we resolved PR#6 [2] first.

Rainer

[1]
https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2012-March/018052.html
[2] https://github.com/macports/macports-base/pull/6