SSL Issues and PortGroup GitHub

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 18 02:05:32 CET 2016

On Dec 17, 2016, at 15:02, John Patrick <nhoj.patrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried both of the following lines and I still get the same error
> "SSL certificate problem: Couldn't understand the server certificate
> format";
> github.tarball_from releases
> github.tarball_from tags

Those options will have no effect if fetch.type is git, which it is in the ansible port, because of the alleged need for submodules.

> I've also read github-1.0.tcl to try and understand all the options
> non of the options seam to work.
>
> Ansible doesn't use submodules.

The portfile contains this block of code:

post-fetch {
    # fetch submodules (https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/11199)
    system -W "${worksrcpath}" "git submodule update --init"
}

The above referenced ticket discusses why submodules were needed. If that is no longer the case we can re-evaluate.

In that ticket I am also reminded that one year ago I discussed the possibility of the developers manually generating and uploading tarballs, and I was given the link to the non-GitHub location where they already provide that. So we should switch the port to use that instead of fetching from Git.