SSL Issues and PortGroup GitHub

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Dec 21 21:18:07 CET 2016

On 2016-12-22 07:41 , Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2016, at 8:18 AM, John Patrick <nhoj.patrick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I commented out a line from /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf;
>> macportsuser root
>
> That should never be set that way.
>
>> And it works, no idea why that line is in that file as I don't believe
>> I would have ever put it in their myself.
>
> That's not the default. If you can figure out where you may have read instructions telling you to set that, it would be helpful (so we could create a real fix for whatever people were trying to work-around and not have people setting things that way).

It may have been the default for a short time years ago, when the GSOC
privileges branch was merged but its functionality was not yet enabled
by default.

This sort of thing is why the Migration instructions include a bit about
updating your macports.conf after comparing it with the current
macports.conf.default.

- Josh