Template for pull requests

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Dec 22 19:56:12 CET 2016

Hi,

I have an impression that we are now getting pull requests from
upstream developers (or some close-to-upstream users/developers) who
never contributed to MacPorts earlier and sometimes don't even have
MacPorts installed and never test the changes. Some of them submit
both to MacPorts and HomeBrew at the same time.

Well, this is both good and bad at the same time. It's good because we
are getting code from upstream in a timely matter. It slightly bad
because these patches are not tested (even though the software itself
might be tested on Mac). Of course the one who commits a pull request
is also expected to test the changes, but I would find it helpful if
we had a pull request template where submitters could mark whether
they:

- tested the changes and if so, on which OS versions
- ran `port lint`
- whether this (a) comes from maintainer, (b) is non-maintainer or
doesn't require permission, or (c) requires permission from
maintainer; in that case @mention it

... probably more

I'm not saying that we should force every singe upstream contributor
to do all the possible tests, but it would be at least helpful to know
in case they didn't.

Mojca

(HB has a template with a checklist for example:
https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/pulls)