[macports-ports] branch master updated: grass: jump to 7.2RC2 (dubbed 7.1.99.2)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Dec 25 10:59:56 CET 2016

On 25 December 2016 at 10:45, Vincent Habchi wrote:
> Ryan,
>
> sorry I didn’t see this before:
>
>>>    grass: jump to 7.2RC2 (dubbed 7.1.99.2)
>>
>> Does upstream also refer to 7.2.0RC2 as 7.1.99.2, or is that something you made up? If the latter, why?
>
> No, upstream’s name is RC2. But 7.1.99.2 would easily upgrade to 7.2.0 when it is released, whereas I’m unsure what version number I should use, should I decide to keep the RC denomination.
>
> If there’s a definite policy here, please let me know, I’ll be happy to implement it.

Ryan would probably say that one should increase the epoch after the
RC period is over and that one should not invent version numbers. But
I don't like that solution with epoch either and would prefer to use
7.1.99.2.

We do something similar with our trunk after all (except that we are
the "upstream", so the comparison is not exact, but we are doing it
for the same reason - inability to upgrade automatically if we would
use something like "2.4.0-git" or "2.4.0-alpha" instead of "2.3.99").

In Geant4 I keep the subport commented out until the beta testing
phase is over just because I hate increasing the epoch :)

We could invent "imaginary versions", something like an additional
optional variable that "overrides" the real version for calculations
of "outdatedness" when used and then you could set that one to
7.1.99.2. It could introduce even more confusion compared to epoch
though.

Mojca