installing an older version of a port in the github era -- an answer

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 20:27:36 CET 2016

So, this turns out to be a lot easier than I originally thought it
would be, and probably is no more difficult than svn was. This may not
be the most efficient way of doing it, but it's fairly easy to
understand, and it works for me.

Here are (perhaps too many) steps regarding how to do it.

Start with a local macports repository cloned from the original. To do
this, I created a macports-ports fork using the web gui, into my local
git account. Then created a local repository on disk by cloning that
into /opt/macports-ports.

cd /opt
sudo git clone https://github.com/YOURNAME/macports-ports.git

That gives you the full history of macports-ports back in time. Then use

port info PORT

to find the path to your port,  eg in this example case devel/libuv

now examine the commit history of that path to see where you want to
sudo git log -p pathto/port

eg

sudo git log -p devel/libuv

you will see all the commits that touched this path. Keep scrolling
until you find what you want, for example this commit looks like what
I'm after here, which bumped the release to 1.9.1 -- so we'll go for
that version:

------
commit 5f3cbc9c2d9c6c8cb84e708a4ae6057ccc244608