Central portindex'ing functional at the moment?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Dec 28 22:10:10 CET 2016

Dear Marko,

On 28 December 2016 at 22:31, Marko Käning wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just now I ran a selfupdate and didn’t get notified of any outdated ports:
> ---
> $ sudo port selfupdate && port outdated
> Password:
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> MacPorts base version 2.3.5 installed,
> MacPorts base version 2.3.5 downloaded.
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> --->  MacPorts base is already the latest version
>
> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
>   port upgrade outdated
> No installed ports are outdated.
> ---
> fine, but...
>

> ... as I have defined a local ports repo via a git clone in sources.conf:
> ---
> file:///Users/marko/WC/GIT/MP/mkae-macports-ports [nosync]

[nosync] means that the git tree is not updated when you run selfupdate.

And having that tree in front shadows the official tree for basically
every single port. You would probably get newer ports listed.

> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
> ---
> I thought I update that as well by “git pull upstream master && portindex”.
>

> After that change port suddenly gave me a list of outdated ports:
> ---
> $ port installed outdated
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   curl @7.51.0_1+ssl (active)

That's expected and perfectly normal.

> Shouldn’t I have gotten those via “sudo port selfupdate” right from the start?

No. Because your local index (the first one on the list) has a higher
priority and that list had outdated ports. That's also a feature when
you want to keep older versions of ports.

> Does this mean, that selfupdate isn’t as up-to-date as a portindex’ed git clone?

Selfupdate is indeed a tiny bit behing (in the order of 30 minutes),
but that's not what you saw.

> I can’t imagine the latter, as the changes causing the above updates are days old
> and rsync source’s portindex should be up-to-date.
>
> What am I missing here?

Just your local copy shadowing everything else in the global portindex.

Mojca