Newbie here

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Wed Feb 10 00:15:05 PST 2016

Hi Umesh,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Umesh Singla <umeshksingla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
> This is my first time here.

Welcome to The MacPorts Project.

> Anybody there to guide me through the process of
> joining Macports team on a project?

Is there any particular type of project you have in mind (writing port
files, working on codebase) ?

> I've already gone through the details on
> website already. But where to start exactly is still not clear to me.

Firstly you need to have a OS X machine. Install Xcode and xcode
command line tools. Once you have installed this, you can install
macports from source by following the steps at:
https://www.macports.org/install.php#source

You can find a more detailed guide here: https://guide.macports.org/.

> Even bug tracker is little confusing like how to assign yourself to an issue
> or description of issue etc.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Then you can try out Tcl tutorials at
https://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html and go through
the codebase so you will get some idea. Don't worry if you don't
understand anything, you can always ask for help.

If you have any queries you can drop a mail in the ML or we also
available on IRC at #macports on freenode network.

--
Jackson Isaac