CFITSIO's Fortran interface

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 11 07:19:39 PST 2016

On Feb 11, 2016, at 2:00 AM, Sébastien Maret wrote:

>> Le 10 févr. 2016 à 16:23, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> a écrit :
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2016, at 8:52 AM, Sébastien Maret wrote:
>>
>>> I am maintaining the Gildas port which depends on the CFITSIO library. CFITSIO has a Fortran interface but it is not built by default: one need to select a specific variant (e.g. +gcc 5) for this. This is a problem for the Gildas because the compilation fails without the Fortran interface:
>>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50543
>>>
>>> Is there a way for a port to depend on a specific variant of another port? If not then how can I solve this?
>>
>> The require_active_variants procedure in the active_variants 1.1 port group.
>
> Thanks. I’ve added the cfitsio +gcc5 in require_active_variants and this solves the problem on Yosemite:
> https://trac.macports.org/changeset/145605
>
> However the compilation fails on older MacOS versions because the +gcc5 variant is not available.

Why isn't the gcc5 variant available on older Mac OS versions?

> I don’t need the gcc5 variant in particular; any of the gcc4x should be fine. How can I do this with require_active_variants?

At present, it doesn't offer that functionality. You could code it manually, if it's truly required to have different gcc variants available on different versions of OS X, though this would be the first circumstance I've heard of of that being necessary.