Survey: How do you commit?

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Mon Jan 4 16:47:08 PST 2016

Ditto Ryan's reply. That said, I think SVN is actually OK for what
MacPorts needs. I greatly prefer GIT for actual software development,
because of the cloning, committing, branching, splitting, merging it
provides (offline or online, parts or whole, lots of usable options). I
use SVN for the MP trunk, then when working out patches I'll use GIT on
the "work" directory to keep track of my changes. I find that mixing
works quite well. All of that said, I would not complain if we moved to
just using GIT for everything. Having lived through CVS from 10 years
ago and prior, I think in comparison SVN is amazing and GIT is almost
magic :) - MLD