Dependences of textinfo

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Wed Jan 20 04:58:09 PST 2016

Concerning https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46105 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/46105>

textinfo currently has the following dependencies:
    Full Name: texinfo @6.0_1
    Extract Dependencies: xz
    Build Dependencies:   help2man
    Library Dependencies: gettext, libiconv, ncurses, perl5.22

textinfo builds fine, but two of its programs (texi2dvi and texindex) might call external programs provided by:
    /usr/bin/sed
    port:biblatex-biber
    port:ghostscript
    port:gawk
    port:grep
    port:hevea
    port:texlive-basic
    port:texlive-htmlxml
    port:texlive-latex
    port:texlive-latex-recommended
    port:xindy

Most ports that use texinfo probably require only a subset of these external programs.
Whose job is it to provide these dependencies?

As far as I can tell, there are three options:
    (1) texinfo has runtime dependencies on *all* of them just in case.
    (2) A port, e.g. octave, has a build dependency on any extern programs it needs
           (see https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2016-January/040386.html <https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2016-January/040386.html>).
    (3) texinfo has runtime dependency on most common external programs (a mixture of (1) and (2)).

(2) seems to be what we have right now.
Should we just stick with this (in which case #46105 should be closed)?

If (3) is the best choice, what are the most common external programs?

-Marcus