VLC cannot play MKV files?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 05:37:23 PST 2016

On Saturday January 23 2016 14:19:26 Vincent Habchi wrote:

> Latest one:
>
> port installed | grep VLC
> VLC @2.1.5_7+mod+mpc+osd+qtkit+quartz (active)

That's indeed that latest one provided through MacPorts, but not the latest VLC version. I've submitted a port for 2.2.1 on Trac months ago, but it has never been committed.

> > What does the VLC log tell you (either in-app or by launching the app bundle executable directly from a terminal, with the -vvv argument)?
>
> You will find the relevant part of the log hereafter. It seems VLC does not recognise the header, and there is an unknown error at some point that looks ominous.

Might I suggest that you download the latest VLC player from videolan.org directly, and see if that one gives the same error? If it doesn't, you can then probably simply uninstall the one from MacPorts.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
René