VLC cannot play MKV files?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 26 01:57:16 PST 2016

Hi,

On 26/01/16 09:47, Vincent Habchi wrote:
>>> I was under the impression that Apple already compressed the files and programs installed with the operating system, using HFS compression, ever since taking up less disk space was listed as a feature of Snow Leopard.
>> Yeah, I thought so too, but I also have the impression that may not always work as advertised after a few updates have been applied. Easy enough to check with `ls -lO` (/usr/bin/ls that is).
>
> I’ve applied René method, disabling SIP while compressing /Applications. It gave me some significant savings, thus I surmise all the applications are not compressed. Xcode is, though, but things like iWorks (Pages, etc.) are not.
>
> I am not space savings in Snow Leopard were the result of using file compression. I’d rather wager Apple get rid of some universal code (ppc/ppc64) in 10.6. 10.5 was the final version usable with ppc, AFAIR.

I have in the past used Xslimmer to save a fair amount of space on old
OSX versions where PPC versions etc. where still shipped.

http://www.xslimmer.com/

With it you can slim down fat binaries to the exact version you require
(PP, 32bit, 64bit) but also remove, if you want, all the
internationalization a lot of applications come with. Some applications
can really be reduced in size...

Chris

p.s. I have nothing to do with them...