-stdlib=libc++ added to configure.cxxflags but not configure.ldflags

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:03:35 PST 2016

On Tuesday January 26 2016 08:27:12 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>If the build system just wants to link already-compiled objects, it doesn't need compiler flags. If the build system wants to compile and link at the same time, it's the build system's responsibility to add both the compiler flags (CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS) and the linker flags (LDFLAGS) to the compile/link command.

That's not what's happening in the case I had. Instead, I got a whole slew of missing symbol errors, mostly "standard" symbols. Whatever the reason, the C++ runtime library wasn't pulled in by the linker, and adding -stdlib=libc++ resolved that. Regardless of whether I built with or without LTO.

What still surprises me is that libc++ isn't pulled in by default (this is on 10.9) because there is no other C++ runtime.

R.