VLC cannot play MKV files?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jan 27 06:00:52 PST 2016

On 2016-01-26 18:31, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday January 26 2016 08:55:20 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36560

> On 2016-01-26 18:12, Joshua Root wrote:
>> Not really thrilled by the inline hex file and shelling out to run
>
> Isn't that simply a test to see if the bsdtar command found "does the
> trick"?

Yes, it is a test, but I would not call that simple. Also, we would only
need to test this once and it could even be done during configure.

>> command pipeline before every extract either
>
> I think the system bsdtar doesn't support this on all OS X versions
> that do support hfs compression.

Right, on my OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite it does not seem to be supported. In
the ticket you said it was not supported on OS X 10.9. Can anybody
please check whether it is actually supported on OS X 10.11 El Capitan?

$ echo "666f6f00...000000" | /usr/bin/bsdtar --hfsCompression -xqOf -
foo>/dev/null
bsdtar: Option --hfsCompression is not supported
Usage:

Probably the test could even be simpler:

$ /usr/bin/bsdtar --hfsCompression --help
bsdtar: Option --hfsCompression is not supported
Usage:

$ /opt/local/bin/bsdtar --hfsCompression --help
bsdtar: manipulate archive files
First option must be a mode specifier:
-c Create -r Add/Replace -t List -u Update -x Extract

> I've never looked in detail at how activation works without this
> patch; does it always use a temporary folder in
> ${prefix}/var/macports/software/${subport} from which items are then
> moved into place? If so, the easiest approach to making this optional
> would be to run a version of afsctool on the extraction folder.
> Afsctool being apparent abandonware I've developed it further,
> letting it process files in parallel. Combined with an accelerated
> zlib that makes fast enough that even a post-build compression of
> Qt's build.dir is insignificant w.r.t. to build time (for very
> appreciable savings).

afsctool is GPL-3 software, so we should not just include it in base, as
it is BSD licensed.

We could include our own libarchive/bsdtar with this feature enabled or
develop equivalent functionality for Pextlib based on the source of
libarchive. However, it really does not look like writing compressed
files is trivial [1].

Rainer

[1]
https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/blob/b9d0b46eb05b0f1e6c832512c2c6b5d782db58d1/libarchive/archive_write_disk_posix.c