HFS+ compression options (WAS: VLC cannot play MKV files?)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 09:27:41 PST 2016

On Friday January 29 2016 11:14:23 Eric A. Borisch wrote:

>> I'm not sure why you'd want that? Even the "stock" afsctool can take a directory.
>
>Haven't played with it; that's even easier. Does it parallelize, too?

Not the stock version, but the version I've continued developing does. About the same way as that'd work with find I guess: it'll build a list of all files to compress (= only those that can be compressed), and will then fire up the desired number of worker threads that'll empty the list each handling files as they can/go. I've experimented with additional locks to prevent concurrent disk I/O but even on a spinning disk that appears not to be required.