-v being a bit too chatty

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 08:11:42 PST 2016

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 5:16 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> - is there a way to silence output from `catch {system ...` even with the
> -v option? I thought the role of the catch function was also to ... catch
> the called function's output?

Tcl throws an exception if the command run via system exits nonzero or
produces any output on stderr. (You can suppress *some* of this --- but
that was added only recently and not everyone ran out and immediately
rewrote to use the new syntax.) So catch is about catching that exception,
not output. The output is the string result of system.