[MacPorts] #51598: bsdmake: setrlimit: Invalid argument

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Jun 30 08:41:58 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-27 12:53, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2016-6-21 07:58 , Bryan Nunweek wrote:
>> Thanks, but `sudo port -v install xinit` still fails with same error
>> when using `/opt/local/bin/bsdmake`
>>
>> The bsdmake port was already installed but was not being used. Path
>> seems OK:
>>
>>> BingleyG5:~ bryan$ echo $PATH
>>> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
>>>

>> Had to rename `/usr/bin/bsdmake` to get `/opt/local/bin/bsdmake` to be
>> used, then:
>>
>>> BingleyG5:~ bryan$ sudo port -v install xinit
>>> --->  Computing dependencies for xinit..........
>>> --->  Dependencies to be installed: tradcpp xrdb xset
>>> xorg-libXfontcache xorg-fontcacheproto xorg-libXp xorg-printproto
>>> xorg-libXxf86misc xorg-xf86miscproto
>>> --->  Building tradcpp
>>> bsdmake: setrlimit: Invalid argument
>
> <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/35612#comment:8> may be relevant here?
>
> Maybe we should avoid using the system bsdmake if it's known to be
> broken in this way? Though it seems to be only triggered by a custom
> configuration.

Yes, that was why I suggested using the bsdmake port, but I made a
mistake: we detect bsdmake using findBinary. That prefers the path that
was present during autoconf over anything in PATH, so just installing
the port is not enough.

I am not sure if DTrace was in the PowerPC version of OS X 10.5, but it
could be used to decode the arguments to setrlimit being used here,
although dtruss does not offer any such functionality. Maybe easier to
just patch bsdmake to report them in the error output.

Rainer