Moving files from foo_select to foo-common

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Mar 7 04:01:41 PST 2016

On 2016-03-06 11:45, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Ports foo-1 and foo-2 have a runtime dependency on both foo-common and
> foo_select, but I'm not sure how to handle the transition in a proper
> way to avoid foo-common overwriting or complaining about files that
> have been put there by foo_select.

foo_select should be upgraded before foo-common, so the conflicting
files are no longer present when activating foo-common. The easiest way
to achieve this would be to introduce a dependency between these ports.

> Also: how are removals of files handled by upgrades of foo_select? Do
> the files that are no longer in the select group get removed properly
> and automatically?

All files that are registered for the port ('port contents foo_select')
will be removed on deactivation before upgrading.

Symlinks created due to selection with 'port select' will not be removed
on upgrade or uninstall. These files are not even in the registry. The
only way to remove them would be running the command 'sudo port select
foo none', assuming all paths are still listed in the "base" file of the
select group.

Rainer