Tarballs on GitHub

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Mar 8 06:22:12 PST 2016

On 2016-03-05 19:45, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Dear Ryan,
>
> On 5 March 2016 at 13:16, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> The automatically-generated github tarball is not identical to the
>> manually-created tarball the portfile's checksums reference.
>> Unfortunately the new github page does not indicate any way to
>> download the old manually-created tarball from the project. For
>> now, you should set
>>
>> master_sites macports_distfiles
>>
>> You should advise the developers of the project that they should
>> create a github release for version 2.0 and all prior versions, and
>> attach the original tarballs to those releases.
>
> Can you please provide some pointers? I'm interested in more
> information about this problem (and would like to better understand
> the changes) even if I'm probably not yet directly affected.

Version control usually does not contain generated files, for example
the configure script. A release tarball should contain such files, but
should also not contain a .git or similar. Release tarballs need to be
created by the maintainer (with automake and proper rules that would be
'make dist') and attached to any releases.

Rainer