[146550] trunk/dports/devel/libgit2/Portfile

David Evans devans at macports.org
Mon Mar 14 13:51:46 PDT 2016

On 3/14/16 1:25 PM, Sean Farley wrote:

> David Evans <devans at macports.org> writes:

>>> And other ports must suffer for some lame glib fork?

>>> Now pygit2 is broken. Thanks for wrecking my work day. If you must have
>>> an older version, the usual way to create another port (e.g. libgit23).
>>
>> I note that you updated the version of libgit2 without checking with me or checking the compatibility of
>> dependents other than those you are interested in. I would have told you there was an issue that was blocking
>> the upgrade.
>>
>> This is the second time that you've arbitrarily modified this port without consultation or regard for the consequences
>> to other ports.
>>
>> pygit2 is only broken because you updated to a version that requires 0.24.0.  It was working fine with the previous version.
>>
>> I expect the problem with libgit2-glib to be resolved shortly.  If not, of course, I will do as you say and create a
>> compatibility version of libgit2 but as of now that doesn't seem necessary.
>>
>> I'm glad to work with you to come to a resolution of this problem that doesn't cause breakage of any ports.  However,
>> I've got to say that I'm a bit put off by your arrogant attitude and your unwillingness to work cooperatively with others.
>
> If I come off as arrogant, my apologies. I like to move fast and this
> makes working with me difficult.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm testing a script that automatically updates a
> port so we can (potentially) have a bot that tries to update every
> outdated port and report what breaks. This caused me to miss your
> comment.
>
> But I understand that not many people like working with me and my
> efforts are rarely appreciated. Though I still think libgit2-glib is a
> sorry excuse for a project.

I'm sorry for being blunt about it as well but you hit me at the wrong moment.  No hard feelings I hope.

If you have specific suggestions for improvements to this project, I'm sure the upstream developers will be glad to hear
about it.

In the meantime, it is a required dependency of gitg, part of the GNOME 3 application distribution.  Unstable release
3.19.92 (3.20 rc) is occuring this week swiftly followed by the final 3.20 release next week. I expect the libgit2-glib
problem to be remedied by then at the latest.  I'll update libgit2 as soon as it is.

If you have further concerns about the upgrade please feel free to file a ticket so we can track progress of the issue.

Thanks for your forebearance.