Issues with variants in current base trunk

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Mar 20 19:35:55 PDT 2016

I'm on current trunk (r146932), and I'm running into an issue with variants during an upgrade.

$ port list outdated
Warning: The 'list' action only shows the currently available version of each port. To see installed versions, use the 'installed' action.
wine-devel                     @1.9.6          x11/wine-devel

$ sudo port -v -s upgrade wine-devel
Error: libepoxy: Variant python27 conflicts with python34
Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants
Error: Follow http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.

$ port installed libepoxy
 libepoxy @1.3.1_1+python34+universal (active)

$ grep python27 /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf
+python27

Firstly, I'm not sure how the libepoxy port was installed with the +python34 variant in the first place since variants.conf had +python27 since before I installed the first port:

$ ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/software/libepoxy
total 508
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 516493 Mar 19 17:58 libepoxy-1.3.1_1+python34+universal.darwin_13.i386-x86_64.tbz2

$ ls -l /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 1203 Mar 18 23:54 /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf

And given the current state, an upgrade action should honor the installed variants.  Instead, it seems to be unioning them with variants.conf.

I suspect that maybe there is an inverted logic somewhere that caused my variants.conf to be honored during the upgrade but not the initial install but haven't dug deeper into it yet.

--Jeremy