Java Version required to be checked.

Abdulrahman Alshammari a.turqi at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 16:22:49 PDT 2016

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 11:54 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 27, 2016, at 7:14 PM, Abdulrahman Alshammari <a.turqi at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I am building a porfile of my software. Originally, the software requires at least  1.8 Java version. I have found some portfiles in available ports section, they use pre-fetch to check if the operation system is at least earlier than a certain version. Can I do that for to check for Java version? if yes, How can I perform that ?
>
> You can run commands to determine the java version and compare it against the one you need. You would have to code it in such a way that you also account for the situation where the user does not have any java version installed. I do have java installed, so I'm not completely certain this handles the no-java case correctly, but here's some code I came up with:
>

>    proc javac_version_ok {min_javac_version} {
>        if {![catch {set javac_long_version [exec javac -version 2>@1]}]} {
>            if {[regexp {^javac (.*)$} $javac_long_version -> javac_version]} {
>                return [expr [vercmp $javac_version $min_javac_version] >= 0]
>            }
>        }
>        return NO;
>    }
>
>    proc check_javac_version {} {
>        set min_javac_version 1.8
>        if {![javac_version_ok ${min_javac_version}]} {
>            global name version
>            ui_error "${name} @${version} requires java ${min_javac_version} or later"
>            return -code error "incompatible java version"
>        }
>    }
>
>    pre-archivefetch {
>        check_javac_version
>    }
>
>    pre-configure {
>        check_javac_version
>    }
>

> Here I'm assuming java is required both at build time and at runtime. If it's only needed at build time, then you should not use the pre-archivefetch block above.

I really appreciate your support. This is helpful. I found a situation similar to this and he add a simple pre-fetch in his portfile. This is what he did:

re-fetch {

if {${os.platform} eq "darwin" && ${os.major} > 10} {

  ui_error "${name} uses deprecated API which has been removed as of Mac OS X 10.7."

        return -code error "incompatible Mac OS X version"

    }

}
Can I did that to check just the java version? Instead of OS.version?

>> Other question is about file dependencies, Z3 is a theorem prover like CVC4. Unfortunately, Z3 is not available as a port. How can I deal with this as file dependency? Please let me know if there is an similar example to my situation?
>
> I don't know what Z3 is, but can you add a port for it?

I can do a port of this tool but I am wondering about the copyright issue. I will search on this situation.

Thanks Ryan