PortGroup directory hierarchy/priority

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:21:42 PDT 2016

Rainer Müller wrote:

> 1. _resources/port1.0/group/*.tcl in ports tree of this port
> 2. _resources/port1.0/group/*.tcl in default ports tree

A "check in 1) and then in 2) if not found" even if 1) is inside a tree that
doesn't override the default tree?

> The _resource directory is meant to contain files that are specific to
> this ports tree. This allows local modifications to port groups in a
> ports tree without influencing other ports trees.

The problem with that approach is that there are many PortGroups that apply to
more than just a few ports.
I can see the occasional use case for limiting certain PortGroup customisations
to a very specific set of (local) ports, but I'm seeing much more use for
letting custom PortGroups behave like custom ports, i.e. override the default.
Right now, someone wanting to test my KF5 ports will have to replace at least
the default Qt5 PortGroup, and remember to repeat that after each and every
`port selfupdate`.