multiple distfiles from multiple sources and with multiple compression types

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:55:18 PDT 2016

On Wednesday March 30 2016 20:16:37 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>libmagic should be used to determine the compression format; filename extension should not be used.

I'd agree with that - if introducing an additional dependency isn't an issue.
I guess that the set of compression formats to recognise is limited and rather well-known, so alternatively a home-grown solution could be used. I've implemented something like that for an old "less" version long ago that I've been maintaining (because I never felt like porting it to newer versions =)). I'd be happy to donate that code so it can be bundled in a little Tcl package - that way it should be relatively straightforward to implement an updating mechanism for just that extension if ever a need arises to support new formats without requiring a full MacPorts upgrade.

On a related note: didn't I hear/see discussion about the possibilities of providing certain features as (more or less obligatory) ports?

R.