file/dir name case (in)sensitivity

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 6 10:51:39 PDT 2016

On Friday May 06 2016 17:42:14 Clemens Lang wrote:

Hi,

>Our buildbots use case-sensitive filesystems, so you should be able to
>use binary packages for both case-insensitive machines (the
>configuration most people are probably using) and case-sensitive
>environments (because that already works fine on the buildbots).

Binary packages prepared on a case-sensitive system work fine on case-insensitive only if they contain a package that doesn't assume it'll be installed on a case-sensitive and that it can thus pull tricks like installing

include/Attica/Provider
include/attica/provider.h

this doesn't raise errors during the install because you'll end up with a directory include/attica that contains files Provider and provider.h, but a source file that does `#include <Attica/Provider>` will encounter a compiler error because include/Attica/Provider won't be found.

Side-note: the binary packages aren't always perfect; a while back we ran into one that looked as if it had been (re)generated on a case-insensitive filesystem. I don't recall which one it was ATM; it was surely KDE related and the issue was discussed on trac or at least the ML.

R.