[MacPorts] #51287: Inkscape crashes on startup if enchant is installed with +applespell

David Evans devans at macports.org
Thu May 12 12:57:22 PDT 2016

On 5/12/16 2:53 AM, MacPorts wrote:
> #51287: Inkscape crashes on startup if enchant is installed with +applespell
> -------------------------------+----------------------
>   Reporter:  jo.vanoost@…      |      Owner:  devans@…
>       Type:  defect            |     Status:  closed
>  Component:  ports             |    Version:
> Resolution:  fixed             |   Keywords:
>       Port:  inkscape enchant  |
> -------------------------------+----------------------
>
> Comment (by raimue@…):
>
>  Replying to [comment:9 devans@…]:
>  > I've updated the dependencies in inkscape in r148331, requiring enchant
>  +aspell -applespell.  This fixes the spell checking issue reported here
>  although enchant has to be manually installed with these variants for the
>  build to succeed.  Will do the same for inkscape-devel shortly.
>
>  This forces everyone with inkscape installed to manually switch the
>  enchant variants before their upgrade can continue, as the default
>  installation is still enchant +applespell. I got multiple reports
>  (personally and on IRC) from people that were unsure what to do. The error
>  message is a bit confusing and does not tell users how they are supposed
>  to proceed:
>
>  {{{
>  --->  Fetching archive for inkscape
>  Error: Failed to archivefetch inkscape: enchant must be installed with
>  +aspell and without +applespell.
>  }}}
>
>  To document it somewhere, the command to switch variants before attempting
>  an upgrade of inkscape would be:
>  {{{
>  $ sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants enchant +aspell -applespell
>  }}}

Thanks for mentioning this.  I also had misgivings about the error message which emanates from the activate variants
port group.  I've also seen a number of questions from people who were unsure what to do and not just for inkscape.
I don't have the time right now to do anything about this but perhaps someone else can look at the port group and see if
this message can be made clearer (e.g. directly indicate the appropriate command to execute in all cases).

I still think it would be better to reinstate +aspell as the default variant as it previously was and leave +applespell
as an option for those who favor it.  This would avoid breaking the default build on a popular application.

Dave