os.major etc. on Linux

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 02:49:20 PDT 2016

On Friday May 13 2016 04:23:24 Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>I think we've established that os_arch should only be i386 or powerpc.

Side-ways related: do we have an idea (or can we have an estimate) how many PPC Macs are still in use but running Linux in order to have a more up-to-date OS? Supposing that is not an entirely insignificant number they *might* represent an actual justification for extending MacPorts support of the Linux platform.

>The problem is that there is no code in MacPorts to set an appropriate default for build_arch on platforms other than Darwin. Until such code is added, you can set the correct build_arch in macports.conf.

Do we agree that this is a bug(let) that shouldn't be hard to fix, and that it shouldn't be necessary to fix a default setting in macports.conf?

R.