os.major etc. on Linux

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 04:31:08 PDT 2016

On Friday May 13 2016 05:59:15 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Most MacPorts users (in fact, all but you, I would expect) will never use MacPorts on Linux, so any issues reported that are specific to Linux would likely go unfixed.

Likely. But I've posted about my little project before, and am inclined to guide others who'd like to jump in.
That said, I do take shortcuts, removing dependency declarations when I don't feel like building the corresponding port and more like using the host's package, for whatever reason. It' (probably) a fact that one has to reconsider what things should rather be taken from the host when changing platforms and thus what's readily available as a system resource/service.

> > Doesn't Tcl have the equivalent of sizeof(void*) or sizeof(size_t)?
>
> I don't know what system configuration variables Tcl has.

You're not the only one I expect to read the question ;)

A quick google search doesn't turn up anything interesting, but even if no such syntax exists it should be easy enough to add a function to one of the C-based extension libraries.
The question is if it's more important to know the hardware nature or in what mode port is being run. I'd say it is much less evident to separate those two on Linux than on OS X (building for 32-bit on 64-bit Debian/Ubuntu is a PITA).

R.