os.major etc. on Linux

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 04:34:49 PDT 2016

On Friday May 13 2016 13:16:00 Niels Dettenbach wrote:

> Just my two cents: You may take a look at the pkgsrc project which is by self explanation possibly that what you are looking for. I'm not sure how far MacOS is still provided directly but if there are peoples want that - adaption to new POSIX systems are relatively lightweight...

AFAIK pkgsrc and Gentoo Prefix do not support Debian and Ubuntu since they went multilib. They also lack niceties like port de/activation, and as I said, to me it's a real advantage to be able to use the same ports on both platforms.
They're also more cumbersome to start with because they really take only the minimum from the host (basically only libc), so you find yourself bootstrapping gcc before you can even think of testing a few packages.

R.