os.major etc. on Linux

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 08:44:25 PDT 2016

On Friday May 13 2016 10:52:58 Brandon Allbery wrote:
> Oh, they changed that finally. I admit I hadn't looked at it on 10.11 (I
> only recently upgraded the Mac from 10.9). It doesn't even mention ppc any
> more.

Apparently you also didn't look at it on 10.9 because that's what I'm still using myself!
My manpage does say

"When the most natural architecture is unavailable, the operating system will try to pick another architecture.
     On 64-bit processors, a 32-bit architecture is tried.  If this is also unavailable, the operating system on an
     intel processor will try running a 32-bit powerpc architecture."

That latter bit is wrong I hope, on 10.7 and later.

> Maybe Apple's getting the idea that the main thing they'd accomplished was
> to confuse developers.

You think? :)