Proposal for a MacPorts'ish commit message template

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Nov 1 16:08:51 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 11:51:52PM +0100, Marko Käning wrote:
> I know that many of you weren't in favour of a commit message
> template, but I propose one anyway, which I derived from KDE’s neat
> one,

Developers are free to use your template if they want to. We don't want
to mandate using it though (since we couldn't enforce it anyway).

> as I find it on the console quite handy to know when 50 or 72
> characters are reached in a line:

vim does that with syntax highlighting automatically nowadays when it
notices you are writing a commit message. If you need an indication on
your line width, may I suggest you configure your editor appropriately?

> # --[ Links to issues on MacPorts' trac ]------------------------------|
> #ISSUE:      <full URL to trac ticket>
> #RESOLVES:   <full URL to trac ticket>
> #BLOCKED BY: <full URL to trac ticket>

You could have taken the time to actually adjust this to what MacPorts'
Trac instance accepts. See
 https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommitTicketUpdater
for the description of the plugins that does this for us and
 https://github.com/macports/trac.macports.org/blob/master/conf/trac.ini#L251
for the configuration we use.

> # --[ Links to other pull requests at GitHub ]—------------------------|
> #PR:      <PR ID>
> #
> ##EXAMPLE:
> # PR:      #123

Could use the documented keywords GitHub accepts to handle pull requests
(you can close pull requests from commit messages!)

Additionally, I don't like the upper case keywords.

--
Clemens