Properly merging pull requests

Ivan Larionov xeron.oskom at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:47:53 PDT 2016

My 2 cents:

* cherry-pick will always change commit hash and github won't see it as the
same commit as from original PR
* "Closed #10" syntax was designed to close Issues from commit messages. I
think if you do "Closes #10" for PR it will close a PR in the way it will
look like it was declined
* I think asking contributor to make required changes and then just merging
is a proper way to manage PRs. If you want to help contributor add comments
to bad lines or provide correct code snippets

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org>
wrote:

> by
> >>
> >> GitHub will also automatically close the PR as "merged" if you push the
> >> PR branch's changes to master from a local client. It's quite nice.
> >
> > If I understand this correctly, the exact commits have to be on the pull
> > request branch for GitHub to recognize you want to close the PR. So I
> > would have to push them first to the pull request branch and then to
> master.
>
> Yeah, I think that's right. That means that rebasing from the command
> line is not feasible for most PRs because the contributors' branch is
> unlikely to be based on the absolute latest master. So I think the
> process you mentioned (push to collaborator's branch, rebase from the
> web) might become our standard operating procedure.
>
> vq

With best regards, Ivan Larionov.