How to keep uncommitted work in a git clone

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 5 03:34:49 PDT 2016

Hi,

I did the svn->git translation myself at work in the recent past and went through exactly the same things as you are now. Git and Svn are very different in some regards and workflows that worked with svn simply do not with git. The ‘make all changes on master and commit only what I want each time’ is one pattern from svn that does not map well to git. It took me a while to realise it but branches are I am afraid really the best way forward here. It does take a while to get use to but once you do it starts to make more and more sense, and now I would not want to go back.

Chris