How best to submit new port to maintainer, in a world of Github?

A. Karl Kornel karl at kornel.us
Sun Nov 27 00:25:39 CET 2016

Hi everyone, Happy Holidays!

I have a question about how best to deal with submitting a port update
to an existing maintainer, in the new Git setup.

The port in question is "libvirt", which has Ryan as maintainer, but
also has openmaintainer listed.  I would like to know the best way of
submitting an updated Portfile, while also notifying the maintainer.

I thought of four different options.  I say "the maintainer" instead of
"Ryan" because I'm trying to think of an option would work for as many
cases as possible.

1. I could email the maintainer directly, but that seems too "closed" to
me.
2. I could put in a Trac ticket, but is that the best way for the
future?
3. I could open the Pull request on Github, but I don't know if I have
access to notify the maintainer directly.  It's probably possible, but
would that work for every other maintainer?
4. I could open a Pull request on Github, and then email the maintainer
separately, but the maintainer might get mad that I didn't use Trac.

I was thinking of going with #2 or #4.

All advice is welcome!

~ Karl