`git describe`

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:43:20 CET 2016

On Monday November 28 2016 12:15:59 Rainer Müller wrote:

> > I presume that means they merge the development branch into master
> > before creating the release.
>
> Maybe. I do not want to dive deep into the release workflow of other
> projects.

I can understand, but doing things that way makes sense, no?

I checked: the release-2.3 branch has seen only a single commit after v2.3.5, all other commits done since were done on the master branch after the 2.3 branch was merged. If there's a good reason not to apply the tag to the main branch (too) I fail to see it.
What I don't know is how you'd apply the tag to the branch too. Presumably not by merging master back into the branch after creating the release tag, because apparently that doesn't work the other way either.

> I don't see how that would change anything for 'git describe', if this
> is only done on a branch.

I guess we'd have to understand exactly what `git describe` does. A scripted sequence of commands does make it easier not to mess it up; I wouldn't be surprised for instance if the order of `git push $2` and `git push --tags $2` has some kind of importance.

But yes, per branch there shouldn't be a difference between executing the command sequence by hand or through the script.