`git describe`

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 09:57:17 CET 2016

I also said that that version complied with practices I see elsewhere :)

>It was changed to 2.3.99 after we created the 2.3 release branch, which was 2 years ago. After we create a 2.4 release branch, the version on master will be changed to 2.4.99.

Then you have your answer in fact. When you bump the version in that script you can use git-release or equivalent to create a 2.4.99 tag, and from there on `git describe` would identify master as 2.4.99-<counter>-<shorthash> . That'd be almost exactly what I'd like to see (though later rather than sooner).

Would you consider adding an additional level by 2.3.6 (= 2.3.99.6) so that the master version keeps some form of synchronisation with the release version? I don't think that it suggests master is based on 2.3.X, but it does convey the message that 2.3.X contains things that were introduced into master before 2.3.99.X.

R.